Thursday 13 December 2007

Recuperating in San Francisco

Interesting the last time I made an entry on this blog was to do with being abroad and the same thing is true again.

This time it's in San Francisco. I am here with Diana recuperating after a recent car accident. It is great to be here although I am naturally not able to do as much as I would like which is a shame. But being in the embrace of a large and loving family is wonderful.

This trip was with the guidance and backing of doctors although was still uncertain even until a couple days before the flight, and even had to be postponed by two days in the last minute due to a bad episode. However I am here now which is the main thing.

The trip was only possible with the assistance of the airline ground staff who provided a wheelchair for me at both ends of the flight, and the air stewardesses who were fantastic during the flight. They were informed of my condition in advance of the flight and were constantly coming to me during the flight to ask if I was OK and if I needed anything. I was also upgraded to an 'Economy Plus' seat which gave me a better wider seat and extra legroom, which was essential. I had been given some sedatives to take during the flight to help me and although this helped, I was feeling very uncomfortable for the last bit of the flight and extremely relieved after finally landing in San Francisco, and eventually delivered to my family here.

The use of a wheelchair added a certain novelty as getting through security and customs at both ends was much quicker, specially in the US, where security was tight and with long queues. Such a journey would have been impossible without the use of a wheelchair.

Our time here has been very good. I am still housebound for parts of the day but we do go out a bit so we can enjoy this beautiful city and I can get some fresh air. I tire easy so we stop off in coffee shops for rests and take things slowly. We are staying with one of my cousins who has been beyond fantastic in terms of help, support, patience and driving us round everywhere.

The weather here has also been quite good. Although it is cold, it is helped by mostly clear skies and a strong sun. We have only had one day of dampness and rain which made things very uncomfortable for me, but otherwise we've been lucky thus far.

I hope to be able to write again very soon of our time here and put some photos up as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home