Wednesday 19 December 2007

Enjoying the Bay area

Diana and I are still in San Francisco and it is lovely to be here.

As for me personally, I have been experiencing a bit more pain than usual over the past few days. I may have tired myself from going out more with the family. So today I am spending the day at home and relaxing. I am still not too mobile and even if we do go out, it is always with the car and I cannot walk for too long.

Our time here is well spent however. It is great to see my cousins and aunt as well as reconnecting again with more distant family as well. I have cousins from Bristol who are also visiting so it is a bit like a family reunion which is wonderful. The downside is that I have to be careful how much time I spend with everyone as being with too many people at the same time tends to exhaust me.




We are staying at the home of one of my first cousins, Hafez, who has been a model host and particularly patient and supportive of my current condition. He has sacrifised a lot of his time to take us places as I cannot really use public transport.

We have recently gone to Monterey and Carmel. We were hoping to go to the aquarium in Monterey which is apparently very good, but decided against it as it would have involved too much walking for me. Instead we walked around the bay for a short time and then had lunch in a very nice seafood restaurant on the bay, also *very* reasonably priced compared to a similar seafood place in the UK.



Later we drove on to Carmel. The last time I had been to Carmel was over 20 years ago when Clint Eastwood was campaigning to be mayor of town and there were posters everywhere urging people to vote for him. The town has since moved on, as has Mr Eastwood. It is a very pretty and picturesque small town right by the ocean. After a brief but very pleasant walk in the centre, we went to take a short drive by the coast to experience one of the most gorgeous sunsets we have ever seen. Diana and I would love to return and stay in Carmel for a longer period to fully appreciate and soak up the lovely atmosphere.



The drive down to Monterey and Carmel was on the famous California Highway 1 which is the coastal road down California. Thankfully we were blessed with brilliant sunshine on this drive and were able to appreciate the coast in all its glory. We stopped frequently to take pictures and enjoy the scenery.



Another highlight of this trip has been a trip to San Jose to expreience our first live ice hockey game. It was an experience never to be forgotten, but I will write about this later.

I have put some pictutes of our time here so far. All these pictures will be on our webshots album in due course. As you can see below, Diana and I have not lost our humour!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home