Monday 31 December 2007

Farewell San Francisco

Ever since I was a child I have always loved San Francisco and the Bay Area of California. When I was 11 years old and my family moved to California we landed in this city, so my first impressions of America were based a lot on San Francisco, which is a lucky thing as it is really a very exciting and diverse city. Then again, having lived in a small village in Aberdeenshire (Scotland) for five years preceding going to America, any place might have been considered exciting!

Landing at San Francisco airport was a real experience. Looking from the airplane window, I could see the city sprawled out before me in all its splendour but below us was only water and the plane kept descending further and further until it was practically touching the water. Then, suddenly, land appeared and we landed. This makes a huge impression on an 11 year old mind.

Ever since then I knew I was going to love this city and my time in California (which alas lasted only 4 years before we moved back to the UK again). It seems rather an anti-climax that this four years was spent in Bakersfield and not somewhere more lively, but it meant our frequent trips to the Bay Area were that much more exciting.

Although I have been to SF a couple times since we left the States, I was delighted to experience that my love for the city has not diminshed at all. I still felt the same excitement while landing, the same thrill going over the Golden Gate Bridge and seeing the skyline of the city across the bay (always one of my favourite views of the city) and the joy of walking around in a big city which has so many diverse areas.

Bearing in mind I have now been to over 330 cities across the world and still consider San Francisco as one of my favourites says a lot for the city. It is a city that is large enough to keep one busy and excited, but small enough to make it liveable in and even cosy in some places.

This particular trip was also extra special in other ways too. After all the trauma of the accident and initial recovery, it felt like a personal victory to be able to make this journey.

I have two direct first cousins who live in San Francisco and their mother (my aunt) who lives in Novato, about 45 minutes north of the city. We were practically raised together as kids when we were very young and have always been close but had not seen each other in five years so it was great to see them again. Another cousin who lives in Bristol with her husband was also there at this time so it really was like a family reunion. I also have a lot of distant family in the area so it was great to be able to see re-connect with some of them as well and it has paved the way to spend more time with them on a future trip.

Most importantly however, I was able to see Diana again for the first time since the accident which was very moving. Her strength in dealing with everything and still remaining my strongest source of support and encouragement, and from such a distance, has filled me with so much admiration for her that I don't know how to adequately describe in words.

Diana and I have always loved the special atmosphere that exists in America during the holiday season so to be here at this time and partake of it was another blessing. I have always loved the Christmas period but obviously never celebrated it as a family, so to be part of a family that did take Christmas more seriously was very special. I got my first chance to help decorate a tree, put presents under it, etc.

My only sadness was not being able to travel south to Bakersfield and Los Angeles to visit my friends from when I lived here. The only way for us to go would have been with public transport which, in my state, was not advisable. I was able to speak to them at least. Diana and I do intend to come out here again and complete other aspects of this trip that my current condition did not allow. We are, however, extremely grateful for this opportunity to be here and have been able to do more than we had originally thought possible. What a gift this was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home